Friday, October 9, 2015

Battling Insecurity






Everyone has insecurities, even webcomic creators. 

I have to say, this was probably the most emotion-inducing comic I've created for ODC. It's difficult for me to come forward and tell other people I'm hurting, and at no fault of CK, I've had to deal with it. 2014 and 2015 were difficult years for me: living in Malta triggered a lot of past trauma, and I spent the majority of this year dealing with the trauma I experienced living abroad (prominently anxiety attacks and feelings of extreme isolation). Since I was small, things had to be a crisis for me in order for them to be legitimized, and this is a hard bad habit to break.

What's helped, you may ask? Well, therapy for one. Empowerment and encouragement by loved ones, for another. And finally, self-empowerment, the last piece of the healing puzzle, and in my humble opinion, the one that sends those insecurities packing for good.

LDRs will bring your insecurities forward, just like any relationship will. It also adds a layer of complexity, including the stress of trying to figure out how and when closing the distance will happen. Being apart from someone who means so much to you can be heart-wrenchingly painful, and at the same time, a great opportunity in establishing yourself as an independent, capable, and awesome person.

Growing pains suck. They really do. And I've grown a lot over the last couple of years, especially when I stopped freaking out and starting doing something about my insecurities. 

Anyway, I thought I'd share. <3 






No comments:

Post a Comment